loading live map...hang in there
CLOSE
Loading granite/granodiorite stone for City Hall foundations 1921/22.
4 Oct 2012
Published To
Description

Quarrying the stone for the City Hall foundations By Mike Vincent In 1921 Ted and Maud Aylward and daughters Rita, Eileen, Dorothy and Ethel, moved from their home in Wooloowin, to a bark and corrugated iron shed on “Cushleva” the property of C. F. Marks at Camp Mountain, near Samford. Ted supervised the stone masons cutting and carting of the large granite/granodiorite blocks for the City Hall foundations. They were dragged on a trolley by two draft horses, Paddy and Dandy, to the nearby rail line, loaded with a wooden derrick on to wagons, then hauled by train to Roma Street. Three of the Aylward girls attended Samford State School till 1923. In 1924 the family moved to their newly built home in Gordon Park. This property is still owned by Aylward descendants

Tags
City Hall AylwardFamily CampMountain construction quarry
Comments (0)