loading live map...hang in there
CLOSE
Roma St Police Barracks and Station 1880 - 1968
8 Oct 2012
Published To
Description

Roma Street Police Barrack building was completed in 1880 by Southall and Tracey at a cost of £5000. The barrack was located between Roma Street and Upper Albert Street, on the current site of the King George Square Bus Station. The Venetian-Italian style building included three floors. The first floor included two cells, a kitchen, bathroom and offices. The second floor included a large parade hall, dining room, day room and offices. The third floor contained two large dormitories, one for men on night duty, and the other for those on day duty, as well as several individual bedrooms. In 1938 when the Petrie Terrace Police Barracks were opened, the building became the home to the traffic branch and was known as the Roma Street Police Station. It remained in use as a police establishment until 1968, when it was demolished to make way for the Turbot Street overpass. (Image Date c1960)

Tags
Memories Police Station Queensland Police
Comments (0)